Neck swelling and pain, sonography showed mattled lymph nodes with cystic degeneration in chest, lymphadenopathy in neck. Treatment?

Question
My wife had done sonography of neck and chest x-ray as she was having some swelling and pain on the side of her neck. The result showed that she has matted lymhpnode with cystic degeneration in chest and lymphadenopathy in her neck. Please suggest me which specialization of doctor will treat lymphadenopathy?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Prasad 52 minutes later

I am sorry for your wife's illness.

Matted lymph nodes of the neck in the presence of cystic degeneration of chest (lung) indicates a problem in the lungs. It warrants further evaluation and medical attention.

You need to consult a competent pulmonologist for further evaluation and treatment. She may need some more tests such as computerised tomography scan /magnetic resonance imaging scan of the (CT/MRI) thorax and fine needle aspiration of the cervical lymph nodes to narrow down the possibility.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concern.

All the best!!

Follow-up: Neck swelling and pain, sonography showed mattled lymph nodes with cystic degeneration in chest, lymphadenopathy in neck. Treatment? 3 hours later
HI,

We have done fine needle aspiration test.

It gave 0.2 ml of thick yellow pus aspirated.Papstained smear shows sheet of neutrophils ,few lymphocytes & macrophages.No granuloma smear shows.Gram stained smear shows very sparse gram positive cocci. No afb seen. Scrapping of absecess wall for hp suggested.

Please sugget if visiting a pulmonologist is required or some one else.

Thnaks a lot in Advance

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Hi and thanks again,

The results of fine needle aspiration are suggestive of infection - a bacterial infection perhaps streptococcus. This can be treated with adequate rest, warm compresses and course of antibiotics. While this will take care of the acute pain and swelling in the neck, she needs further evaluation to determine the causative factors.

However in view of chest findings on lung x rays, it would be wise to start the evaluation from there. Hence, pulmonologist would be appropriate specialist now.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns.

Thanks again and wish her good healthy.