Developed rash on the shaft of penis after sex. It bled and had pus. What could it be?

Question
My boyfriend developed a rash on the shaft if his penis a couple of days after sex. It bled after he rubbed it and now there's a pus filled bump where the rash was. Could this be an ingrown hair? He is susceptible to ingrown hairs
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 50 minutes later
Hi XXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Ingrown hair is uncommon in penis and scrotum areas but if there it should be a localised pinpoint collection of whitish pus with surrounding redness.
If these are the features may be he is having ingrown hair as a cause and the condition heals by itself in ensuing 4-5days.
it can be an infection in the soft skin of penis and in that case he should get prescribed oral antibiotics and local antibiotics for application.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Follow-up: Developed rash on the shaft of penis after sex. It bled and had pus. What could it be? 27 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply!
Could it be a symptom of herpes or an STD?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Hi XXXXX
Welcome back.
The infections appearing following sexual activity are STD unless proven otherwise.
Herpes is a possibility.
A local physical examination by a local physician will be helpful in exact detection of the cause and treatment. If possible tout can send me a photo of lesions taken in day light and erect penis to fine tune the diagnosis.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.