Neck stiffness, tingling and numbness in foot, bulge in the calf, total numbness of the hand, dizziness. Advice?

Question
Over the last 2 months I have been experiencing some serious neck stiffness and pain only when I turn to the sides. I don't believe that I injured myself in anyway possible but have been extremely stressed out due to personal issues.

Within the last couple of weeks I have noticed tingling and numbness in my left foot, especially my toes and heel. Also, I have felt as if I have a bulge or cramp in my left calf. In my left arm I have felt pain going from my elbow all the way to my left pinky and ring finger which feels somewhat like brittle bones or like a nerve sensation.

This morning I woke up and my right arm was completely asleep. After moving it enough to get blood back into it, it still feels quiet numb directly below the elbow to the touch and very cold. This is very alarming and concerning for me. The only other symptom that I have really noticed is slight dizziness at moments.

Please Help.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The symptoms which you’ve described indicate involvement of the ulnar nerve which is usually involved around the elbow area and is called “cubital tunnel syndrome”. The ulnar nerve innervates the fourth and fifth fingers, and symptoms such as numbness, weakness, and tingling appear there when any compression of this nerve occurs.

Diabetes & hypothyroidism are the two diseases which commonly can cause numbness in upper and lower limbs and need to be ruled out. Hence, I’ll suggest getting the blood sugar and thyroid profile to be done. Nerve conduction velocity test and MRI spine will also help in confirming the same.

Other causes are peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency, neurological causes or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve. If the symptoms persist then get the above mentioned possibilities ruled out from a neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Neck stiffness, tingling and numbness in foot, bulge in the calf, total numbness of the hand, dizziness. Advice? 36 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Other, less noticeable symptoms that I have seen lately is weakness, some confusion or mixing up words, slower thought process and the same slight dizziness and headaches, almost like I need to be wearing glasses or something.

My arm that was asleep this morning is now feeling better and no longer numb. I did take 1 vitamin B12 200mcg tablet with breakfast so we'll see if that improves anything.

Is there anything I am able to look for or do on my own in order to rule out either of these diseases? Can Hyperthydroidism be dangerous? I have essentially been waiting 2 months before consulting you so would this be too long to wait? I will of course consult my family doctor as soon as possible.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

In view of the symptoms, it makes sense to rule out any organic pathology of the brain by doing an MRI and simultaneously getting the B 12 levels assessed. Low levels of vitamin B12 can produce most of the symptoms that you have. If there is a history of any alcohol intake, then you should get your liver function tests also done.