Neck and chest looks red like sunburn. What could be the cause and suggest the treatment?

Why are my neck and chest red. looks like sunburn, but its not.

Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

Even allergies can cause such reddening of skin over these areas. Commonly allergies can present with reddening of skin, itching and sometimes rash.

You can give try to oral anti-histaminics. This can help relieve your symptoms.

Can you send me picture of the same? You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Please ask if there are doubts.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Neck and chest looks red like sunburn. What could be the cause and suggest the treatment? 8 hours later
That much I figure out myself. What else do you got?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
The most common cause for the redness remains allergies, particularly if this is associated with itching. Apart from that, there are several other causes of flushing as well. It can be due to a medication that you are taking, alcohol intake, hot, spicy food and several other disorders which include carcinoid syndrome, hyperthyroidism, mastocytosis, medullary carcinoma of thyroid, pancreatic cancers, insulinoma, and POEMS syndrome. But it is important to remember that each of these conditions will cause several other symptoms as well.
For example, carcinoid syndrome cause abdominal pain, palpitations and typically these symptoms would be brought on by physical exertion, or eating or drinking things such as blue cheeses, chocolate, or red wine.
Please answer the following questions to help me guide you better:
a.     Do you have any other symptoms as of now?
b.     Are you taking any medication ( including drugs that you take on and off)?
As far as the allergies are concerned, most such symptoms are not XXXXXXX to a person .Many rashes last a while and get better on their own. It is therefore the treatment offered is symptomatic for symptoms like itchy and/or dry skin for a few days to see whether the condition gets milder and goes away.
If there is associated itching, non-prescription (over-the-counter) remedies include
• Anti-itch creams containing camphor, menthol, pramoxine (Itch-X, Sarna Sensitive), or diphenhydramine (Benadryl).
• Antihistamines like diphenhydramine (Benadryl), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), or loratadine (Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert); and cetirizine (Zyrtec).
•Moisturizing lotions.
Rarely local steroid application might be needed.
Awaiting your reply