Nausea, dizziness, loose stools, heaviness in limbs. Is this a stomach infection?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up feeling very nauseated. Late morning I became incredibly dizzy. Now my head and limbs are very heavy. Nausea is occasionally severe. Stool is loose. Stomach bug or cause for concern?
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of an intestinal infection - most commonly viral in nature and is self limiting.
Drink plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids to avoid dehydration and dizzyness.
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

Get your stool examined and if it indicates infection or you are not better in two days, see your doctor for a course of antibiotics. You can meanwhile take Lomotil twice a day along with the diet I have suggested.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.