Nausea, body ache, low grade fever, throat pain, abdominal pain

Question
Good Afternoon. I was awake most of the night last night with an extremely nauseous stomach. Hurt really badly. And this morning I didn't know if I could go to work, but I'm at work now and my whole body is aching so badly and I am puke nauseous. I got a thermometer at CVS and I have a lowgrade fever. 99.1 --- I also have a kind of pain in my throat but my throat is not sore. I also have pain in my left ovary area and lower back, but I'm achy all over and my skin feels sensitive to everything. I will consult a physician later but what can you tell me right now? Thank you so much.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms it looks like acute gastritis and gastroenteritis which is causing these symptoms. Did you have any outside food recently or are you having any stress at work?

Gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. There are many possible causes of this disorder including an infection (bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic), an irritant, backup of bile or due to acid reflux.

For now, drink plenty of water to detoxify the body. The BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken. Also take an antacid or a H2 blocker like Rantac or a PPI inhibitor drug like Omeprazole after consulting your doctor. If you start getting any fever along with these symptoms then a gastrointestinal infection (viral and bacterial) need to be ruled out

Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietitian will be helpful. Try raising the head end of your bed by at least two blocks and take your meals 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

If the symptoms persist or there is accompanying vomiting or diarrhea then get an evaluation done from a physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.