Ask a Urologist   »  

My urine smells like burnt almonds. What could be the problem?

my urine smells like burnt almonds
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Smell of burnt almonds in urine could be due to bacterial infection in the urinary tract without regular symptoms of UTI, dehydration, consumption of red meat or high protein foods.

Do you have any other accompanying symptoms like burning during urination, pain in lumbar region or any blood in urine?

Increase consumption of water and take less of meat for some days. If the smell persists then you may need to get checked for urinary tract infections and get the urine examined for infection, ketones etc. You may also need to get a urine culture done. For this you should consult your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.