Mucus in stool, constipation. Cure?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
Hi i am 41 male and my partner mentioned and noticed when i pass stools recently, that there is a white tissue like stuff floating around and on top of the stool. The stool has no blood, and is normal in colour. Why is this occurring are we eating too much of something and why would this occur irregularly? Male has been constapated alot and find it hard to push out the stools..What could this be?
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Mucus in stool often indicates there is inflammation of the intestines. Mucus in stool can occur with either constipation or diarrhea.

The more common causes of mucus in stool includes bacterial overgrowth and food allergies and sensitivities. They are often easily corrected with dietary changes and supplements.

It can be common symptom of ulcerative colitis (UC) or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It can be because of bacterial infection, bowel obstruction or anal fissure. This can be ruled out as you do not have any other symptoms pointing toward this conditions.

If there is no underlying disorder present, mucus in stool and constipation are often helped by increasing water intake and taking herbal or food demulcents, substances that form a soothing film which soothes the intestinal lining.

Greasy foods, dairy products, and wheat may be contributing to the mucus in stool. Avoiding these foods is often recommended, at least until the condition improves.

For constipation i advice you to drink a lot of water every day, drink some water before eating any thing. Eat more fiber and unsaturated fats. Avoid eating spicy foods and eat stuff which are prepared in home. Avoid smoking and drinking if any. Eating banana before going to sleep can also help.

Try over the counter stuff like Laxative, or stool softener in case if you are constipated. I don't think presently you need to worry kindly follow the conservative approach you will be fine.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer