Mucinous ovarian mass, no spread in CT scan and x-ray. Elevated CA125 level. Is it safe to assume it is benign?

i took my mother to the hospital and they found large ovarian mass (size of a soccer ball 20 by 30cm) they said its a mucinous mass. CT scan did not show spread and XRay also did not show any spread. CA 15-3 level was good CA 19-9 was good CA 125 was slightly elevated. Dr scheduled a surgery in one week and he thinks its a begign. If CT and Xray did not show spread is it safe to assume its a begign.

Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
CA125 is most commonly used screening test for ovarian carcinoma and as it is slightly raised, your mother is 53 year old and the ovarian mass is of huge size, we can not say its totaly benign on clinical basis.
CT scan has good efficacy to detect the lesion, but confirmatory result comes after histopathological examination of ovarian mass removed after surgery.
So wait till histhopathological report to come which should take 3 to 4 days after surgery. I will be available for your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Mucinous ovarian mass, no spread in CT scan and x-ray. Elevated CA125 level. Is it safe to assume it is benign? 1 hour later
Can you please focus on my questions

1)If CT and XRAY was clean of cancer spread is it a good sign towards begign?

2)Can CA 125 be a little elevated with begign.

3)If its that huge and did not spread and CT did not show spread it sounds like a begign?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 17 hours later

I apologize if my previous reply was not very clear enough to answer your questions. Let me try today.

CA125 is just a screening test for ovarian carcinoma; an elevated level can be increased in other conditions like endometriosis, pelvic tuberculosis and pelvic inflammatory disease. So just on the basis of slightly elevated CA125, I wouldn't judge it as malignant. I concur with your doctor here.

If CT Scan & X-ray are showing clear view of the structures, though the mass is huge suggest that there is no spread of the disease. This definitely sound benign and It is definitely a good sign and I would be happy to see such reports in any patients of mine with ovarian mass. However I would like to wait for the histopathological examination report to conclusively decide about its malignant nature.

In other words, based on the reports till now, it appears very benign. We should wait to see the histopathological report to disprove malignancy beyond any doubts.

I hope this review resolves your doubts. Let me know if you need more clarification. I will also be glad to address any other concerns that you may have.

Wish you a pink of health!

Follow-up: Mucinous ovarian mass, no spread in CT scan and x-ray. Elevated CA125 level. Is it safe to assume it is benign? 6 hours later
Thanks for making things clearer

Her CA-125 was 70

15-3 was good
19-9 was good
CEA was good

Is 70 a good indicator for begign since the mass is already huge?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 11 hours later

I understand you are concerned.

Let me repeat what I said earlier. CA-125 antigen is just a screening test. In the absence of no obvious spread on scans, the slightly elevated CA-125 value suggests the pathology is most likely benign. And as planned we should go ahead with the surgery and histopathological study of the specimen.

Histopathological report will provide conclusive evidences to prove the exact nature of this mass beyond all doubts.

So far all the findings - CA 125 value of 70 and scans are suggesting a benign condition.

Hope this is assuring.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.