Ask a Dentist   »  

Mouth ulcers. Taking Epilim and Tegetrol. Side effect of medications?

My 18yr old daughter is on 200mg of epilim and 400mg tegetrol daily. She has suffered from,
hair loss, tiredness, confussion, loss of appitite, dizzness , constant blurry vision. In the last three days
she has developed mouth ulscers. I'm not sure if these are a side effect of the medications. If so which
one is the most likely culpurt.

many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Epilim contains Sodium Valproate and Tegetrol has Carbamazepine. Both medications are associated with various side effects such as drowsiness, confusion, loss of appetite, hair loss, vision problems, tremors, anemia, etc.

It seems she is exhibiting the effects of both drugs.

I encourage you to report back to your prescribing physician. Your doctor might consider modifying your daughters medication.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.