Mood swings resulting into lack of interest in work, anxiety, repetitive thoughts, burning in palms. Remedy?

Hello doctor, I have series of mood swings which changes abruptly for no reason .
my mind taking control of me, lack of interest of any work i do,over anxiety,repetitive thoughts that keeps coming on/off through out the day which is really impacting my professional/personal life.I feel so restless and suddenly wake up in the middle of the night and experience chest burning.Some times I also feel burning sensation in my palms.I am trying to focus on what ever I do but uncontrollable thoughts take over me.

Below are my wife observations on me
Complaint of people watching me some times
cannot sleep
sadness coming out of nowhere[sometimes even during happy situations]
excessive fears or suspiciousness
inability to concentrate
Sitting and doing nothing
anxious and complain of chest pain ...

Kindly let me know what is my problem and how do i resolve this
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 7 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Mood swings in mild degree can be normal and if severe associated with mood disorders like cyclothymia or bipolar mood disorder. Repetitive thoughts, chest pain, burning sensation and restlessness are characteristic of anxiety disorders. Excessive fear or suspiciousness with complaints of people observing you are referred to as paranoia and referential ideation, characteristic of psychotic disorders. Considering the fact that you have a variety of psychiatric symptoms covering different groups of mental illnesses, i would suggest undergoing a thorough psychiatric evaluation at the earliest so that suitable management can be planned.
Anxiety disorders are treated with benzodiazepines; mood disorders with mood stabilisers like lithium and psychotic disorders with antipsychotics like olanzapine. Wish you early recovery.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Mood swings resulting into lack of interest in work, anxiety, repetitive thoughts, burning in palms. Remedy? 2 hours later

Could you please tell me how I could have got so many disorders ?
I haven't really gone through any traumatic experience during my childhood.

History :
As far as I remember I was fine till schooling.
After schooling(16 years of age) when I joined college people used to call me by my middle name which I used to hate. When someone used to call(or rag) me by second name I used to get anger and irritation. I used to hate to going to college.
I didn't have any interest in learning. Because of this I never participated in extra curricular even though I was interested.

Today (31 years of age):
I feel as my age is going up different problems have kept adding up.
Any work I do I have some unknown fear at the corner of my mind. People around me tell me that even though I am present , the presence is not felt. I look dull.
People always ask me if I am having some problem. Zero levels of self esteem and confidence.
Today I want to grow in my career and life but unable to do so.
Even when something good happens to me I am unable to accept it.
Sometimes I wonder if I am trying to act in a situation.

Could you please tell me if only medicines will help my situation?
Are there any ways how I can also help myself in this situation?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Specific causes of most mental illnesses have not yet been identified though family history of mental illnesses does point toward development of the same in progeny. I agree that thee are a few issues like poor self esteem might not be as such related to your illness. These can be addressed without medication. You would need to contact a clinical psychologist who would offer supportive counselling, assertiveness management and psychotherapy techniques like CBT/ Cognitive behavioural therapy that might benefit you. There are no self remedies as such that i would like to suggest. Wish you early recovery.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Mood swings resulting into lack of interest in work, anxiety, repetitive thoughts, burning in palms. Remedy? 29 hours later
Hello doc,

Can you please suggest me the best supportive counselling, assertiveness management, psychotherapy techniques like CBT/ Cognitive behavioral therapy centres in Bangalore

And also could you please let me know the good psychiatrist in Bangalore who can address my above problems

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 11 hours later
Nimhans and apollo hospitals bangalore are the leading government and private centres which provide services of good psychiatrists and clinicalpsychologists who can can provide the various modalities of therapy entailed above. Wish you early recovery.