Missing periods after child birth. What could be causing this?

Hello, I'm 30yr old female. I have a 9month baby boy. I was expecting my period 7 days ago, I did 2 CVS brand blue XXXXXXX tests and both were negative. I read on their instructions that there might be a misdiagnosed result if there had been a recent pregnancy. Is 9 months ago is considered to be recent? My past couple periods were late about 1 day and overall I'm always pretty regular. With my last/first pregnancy I took a pregnancy test one day after my expected period and the test was almost instantly positive. I'm puzzled, is there something else that is causing my period to be late? Like I said my periods have always been regular even after my pregnancy.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 46 minutes later
Welcome and thanks for writing to us
Lactational period can cause delayed and irregular periods but you were having your normal periods for the past 8 months or after delivery so the causes can be :
Anemia , Pregnancy, stress , hypothyroidism , polycystic ovaries or hormonal imbalance.
Get your haemoglobin level done and repeat the test after one week as there can be false negative results in some cases.It is better to get an ultrasound done after 15 days if you do not get your periods.Till then just wait and relax.If the test is still negative after a week then you can take norethisterone tablets under doctor's guidance and prescription.Take regular iron and calcium supplements and diet XXXXXXX in iron and calcium.
Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Missing periods after child birth. What could be causing this? 28 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Minoo for your prompt reply. I haven't been eating well and do not follow a healthy diet, I've also have been stressing out a lot so what you mention makes sense. I will follow your advice, wait and relax if still no period I will have test done.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 13 minutes later
You are welcome dear

It is Good morning here :)