Missing period. Planning to abort child. What medicine should I take?

helo sir i dont want pregnancy i want too loose it using pills how can i do it and when can i get next periods please explain in detail
i have to get periods on march 30th but till now i didnt get yestday i checked using preg checker it is conformed tat i am pregnant so please help me i need to loose pregnancy using tabs and have to get my periods as soon as possible without consulting doctor in clinic
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later

In order to undergo a medical abortion you have to get the presence of an intrauterine pregnancy confirmed first along with the gestational age. Self medication is not advisable as it can lead to incomplete abortion due to insufficient dosages and lack of proper monitoring and is associated with heavy bleeding most of the time. Infection can result from retained products and this can hamper future pregnancy chances badly. Another problem with self medication is the possibility of missing an ectopic pregnancy and trying to abort and this in itself is a grievous mistake.

So I would advice you to see a gynecologist, get investigated and use medication under the guidance of the doctor. The process can thus be properly monitored and completion of abortion verified.

Several combinations are available in the market and based on your period of pregnancy, your doctor would go for one or the other. The drugs used in this process are Mifepristone, Misoprostol and Methotrexate. The process of abortion is usually complete within a day or two after initiation of treatment. Completion of the process may be verified after two weeks. Normal menstruation may resume within 1-2 months depending on the period of pregnancy and individual response.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to contact. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Missing period. Planning to abort child. What medicine should I take? 1 hour later
how much mg of tablet and how many tablets i have to take to loose my pregnancy and will there be any effect to my next pregnancy by taking these tablets. with in how many days i will get bleeding and for how many days?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

As I have already written, the exact dose of the medication depends on the period of pregnancy as decided by your doctor. The Mifepristone/Misoprostol combination has been shown to be the most effective. An initial dose of Mifepristone 200 is followed by Misoprostol 800 vaginally 1-3 days later. If the pregnancy is 49-63 days, if the above regime does not cause bleeding within 4 hours of Misoprostol, a second dose of 400 is given either orally or vaginally. The timing of the doses should be decided by your attending doctor.

The process is initiated soon after taking the pills and completed in a few hours. There may be side effects like nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If the bleeding persists, it indicates an incomplete abortion and the doctor may need to repeat the treatment or use other means of evacuation to control the bleeding.

If the whole process is conducted uneventfully under the guidance of a specialist, it does not cause any long term ill-effects and future pregnancies are safe.

Hope I have made it clear. Please do contact if you have any more queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Missing period. Planning to abort child. What medicine should I take? 16 hours later
helllo madam,
if u dont mind please reply for these
i m 25 days pregnant so how munch mg of tablet is usually used for this type of case. after using this medicine how can we know tat we lost pregnancy completely after howmany days we can know it.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later

Thank you for writing.

200mg. of oral Mifepristone is followed by 4 tablets of 200mcg. of Misoprostol preferably vaginally 1-3 days later. If Misoprostol is taken by the buccal route, it should be kept in the buccal cavity for 20-30 minutes until the tablets are completely dissolved. Mifepristone causes the abortion proper while Misoprostol helps the uterus to expel the abortus by contracting the uterus. Bleeding along with cramps is usually observed 2-3 hours after the Misoprostol tablets and the abortus is expelled. The bleeding may be seen in small quantities for a couple of days. Completion of the process can be assessed after two weeks by a qualified doctor. If you suffer from severe cramps or excessive bleeding you should immediately report the matter to your attending doctor.

Hope I have answered all your queries. If you have no further questions, please close this discussion. I will be available for further queries, if any.