Missing period. Getting watery vaginal discharge. No pain or itching. Am I at any risk?

Jul 2012

Hi I'm a 19 year old woman with vaginal discharge. All i look up says i have a bad infection on bv. The discharge is white when i look at it and every put it on my finger (tmi, sorry) but when i wipe, it's really really light XXXXXXX on the toilet paper. I have not had sex width anyone besides my boyfriend for 2 years since i lost my virginity. I do not have any cramping, no itching, no pain at all at anytime. The discharge had a normal smell. Not too fishy and not like yeast. The discharge is watery and slimy at times, stretchy as well. No clumps at all, no blood. I'm scared to get tested because i do not want to find out bad news. My boyfriend said he pinched his penis a few weeks ago and that ever since then he feels pain when he urinates. He has no discharge either. Please help. There's not one single second of the day that i don't think About it. Oh i also got of the depo on the month of December and have not had my period since then.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
I empathise with your problem but there seem to be 2 issues here to be sorted out.
Firstly the amenorrhea (lack of periods) after stopping the depot preparation you were on is disconcerting. I dont mean to alarm you, but playing the devils' advocate, your first test should be a B-HcG blood test with a titre to rule out pregnancy of any sort & in its eventuality, the titre will help you in the future dealing with it one way or the other.
Second the discharge you describe does seem like an infection if you couple it with your boyfriend's symptoms. It is best you both get tested & or treated at the same time. Relax, it does appear like a oral antibiotic but as this will require a prescption, your local GP may be best placed to help you. A combination of Fluconazole 200mg (antifungal), Tinnidazole or secnidazole 2gm (antibiotic) & aZithromycin 1gm all taken in a single dose (In some countries it does come in a single combination tablet) should take care of your problem. Couple this with drinking lots of water & a urinary alkalaniser & you will be as good as new soon.
Please stop thinking so much about it, act on it as per my advice & all will be well in a jiffy. sure it is just a minor infection & all will be well soon. Please do close this query as it will also help provide you with some sort of closure & do rate us if time provides. But please do practice safe sex hitherto.
Regds & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Missing period. Getting watery vaginal discharge. No pain or itching. Am I at any risk? 29 minutes later
Thank you so much, im a medical assistant at a clinic in my city and i have taken 3 pregnancy test and they have been all negative. I appreciate you so much, you dont know how nuch of a worry you have lifted off my shouders. Ill make sure we both get treated.. Will we be prescribed ALL those medications to cure the UTI or can we take just one? What would you recommend ? How soon should we see results ? & should we stop having sex at all while we get treated or will intercourse be okay ? Once again, thank you so much!!!!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 29 minutes later
Hey are young & have your whole life ahead of you. Give intercourse a break for 24-48 hrs. Get yourself treated. Yes a combination of the 3 medications may be a better bet if you are treating emperically sans testing. it should be all good in 24-36 hrs or a touch longer but best to abstain for 48 hrs. Glad to note the pregnancy tests have turned out negative. please do use a condom though & practice safe sex unless you revert to some other contraceptive device or wish to have a child. Am glad to have helped. Sometimes an objective shoulder is best to help get one's thoughts in line. Cheers & Good luck. Do stay in touch more so as you are a medical assistant & do feel free to visit mois country if time permits. Bangalore has an an ambience like no other. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD