Missed periods, have black vaginal discharge similar to nasal mucus. What could be the cause?

Question
my girlfriend has missed 2 periods and now 1 week after the 2nd should have come she has experienced a black vaginal discharge similar texture to nasal mucus.
what could be the caused? Does this require immediate examination by a doctor?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
The back colored mucus like discharge could be indicative of an impending cycle or mild bleeding seen during an early pregnancy.
You first need to get her urine test done for pregnancy using a highly sensitive pregnancy test kits available in the market.
In case she is pregnant, then it needs to be evaluated with an ultrasound scan to see any abnormality.
In case she is not pregnant, then there is nothing to worry. She can wait for a few days for it to subside spontaneously.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Missed periods, have black vaginal discharge similar to nasal mucus. What could be the cause? 25 minutes later
Hi Dr Tayal,

thanks for your response.
She took a urine test around the time she expected the first period, negative.
Another, 2 wks after the 1st period was expected. Negative.
Another 2 of a different brand of tests around the date of the 2nd expected period, both negative.
We expect she is not pregnant. She has been travelling, excessively stressed, mild weight change, tobacco and caffiene use.
Just to be clear, you advise she should not be worried because it could be a sign of impending cycle and she should monitor over the next few days.

thanks!

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since the repeated pregnancy tests are negative, the black clot is likely to be due to an impending cycle. Please wait and watch for next 4-5 days for the full flow to begin.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Regards.