Missed periods. Got positive pregnancy test. Started brown discharge. Any complication?

Question
HELLO DR.
I AM XXXXXX
I MISSED MY PERIOD THIS MONTH, AND GOT POSITIVE STRIP TEST. NOW I HAVE SOME TINY BROWN DISCHARGE FROM 3 DAYS. LAST MONTH DUE DATE WAS 16 AUG. 2012.
PLEASE REPLY.
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 36 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

From what you are saying, you missed your period, and now you have a positive pregnancy test. This part of the question seems pretty straightforward.

With regard to the tiny brown discharge, this is probably related to a small amount of bleeding that makes its way out as a brownish discharge.

I am assuming that you have some sort of followup arranged with a doctor to confirm that this is a normal pregnancy. From what you are describing, I am not too concerned, but you should followup with your doctor at some point to make sure that everything is okay.

I hope this helps - Dr Tim

Follow-up: Missed periods. Got positive pregnancy test. Started brown discharge. Any complication? 36 minutes later
i want to know that weather it is a normal phenomena or not? is it a serious condition.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
No, this is completely normal and we believe that it is related to implantation of the pregnancy in the uterine wall. As long as you are not having any significant pain, then it can probably wait until a regularly scheduled followup visit for routine prenatal care.

If you have any new bright red bleeding or cramping, then this should prompt a call to your doctor.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Follow-up: Missed periods. Got positive pregnancy test. Started brown discharge. Any complication? 8 minutes later
thanks doctor.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 0 minute later
You are welcome - any time! Good luck.

Follow-up: Missed periods. Got positive pregnancy test. Started brown discharge. Any complication? 0 minute later
any special care required or precaution should be taken?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
Not that I can think of. Just what I said before. Sometimes I will tell patients to avoid intercourse as this can cause normal bleeding that sometimes can confuse the situation with regard to the pregnancy.