Missed period. Getting night sweats, heaviness in uterus and tenderness in breast. What to do?

I am 50 years old, missed my period the middle of April, very tender aching breasts, heavy in uterus and stomach area, night sweats....i took a pregnancy test yesterday it came back negative, also feel my bones shifting in the pelvic area.....what should I do??
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

As you approach menopause (defined as no period for 12 months), it is typically to have cycles where you do not ovulate and the cycle then comes late. What you are describing is not abnormal bleeding. It sounds like the opposite - a normal lack of bleeding. This is not such an unusual situation.

The symptoms you are having are almost certainly related to the fact that you have now ovulated. While these might not have been problems in the past, what you are describing is very typical of the second half of your cycle. I would expect that you will get your period in the next couple of weeks.

The instability of the pelvic bones is confusing in terms of your cycle, but it certainly seems cycle related. If this, too, does not resolve, then you need to contact your OB/GYN.

If things do not resolve over the next couple of weeks, and you end up seeing your doctor, remember to have them check your thyroid labs.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional question. Good luck!
Follow-up: Missed period. Getting night sweats, heaviness in uterus and tenderness in breast. What to do? 20 minutes later
when should I be concerned to be tested for uteran or ovarian cancer? If I don't start my period in the next few weeks?? I am trying to remain calm and let this ride out but also want to make sure these are normal symptoms for someone my age...also should I retake a pregnancy test just to be sure??I do have an order from my naturopath to get thryroid checked again since I just began a new thryoid medication 7 or 8 weeks ago...thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Thank you for the followup:

1. Uterine cancer usually presents with abnormal bleeding, not the lack of bleeding
2. Ovarian cancer is very uncommon, and very hard to detect based on symptoms alone. This should not be your worry based on what you are saying.

You should schedule a visit with an OB/GYN. Tell them about the cycle irregularity and that you are also having problems with pelvic discomfort. They should do an exam and an ultrasound. This will certainly put your mind further at east.

I hope that this helps and good luck! Please leave feedback!