Migraines, lightheadedness, fatigue, sore skin on face. Taking Mirena for long time. Are these side effects?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have been on the mirena for three years now but for a couple of days now I have been extremely lightheaded, my skin,especially my face and arms feel really sore, I have horrible migrains, I'm restless, I'm exhausted but I cant fall asleep I took a hot and it came out negative what should I do
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms you are having are not likely to be due to pregnancy. The urine test you did further confirms this.
The symptoms you are facing are the common side effects of mirena.
Usually these do subside after few weeks and symptomatic treatment with mild pain killers till then will be helpful. You can start with acetaminophen double strength if you are not allergic to it.
If you are really uncomfortable then you can visit your doctor and get the mirena coil removed.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.