Metabolic panel, creatinine, ketones, proteinuria, cholesterol, on simvastatin, enalapril, diovan, diltiazem cd

My last blood test Metabolic panel had Creatinine 1.35 and UA with culture, protein was 2+ and trace ketones. I have had protienuria for almost 20 years. I am on enalpril, diovan, and diltiazem cd for blood pressure which is controlling it and XXXXXXX for prostate and simvistatin for cholesterol. I was a little dehydrated before the test and had a large coffee with french vanilla sweetner(very sugary) right before the test and could only give a very small sample. Do you think this indicates my kidney function is impaired or could it be another reason?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

Presence of creatinine or traces of ketones and a 2+ protein - all these changes show a long term problem of kidney.

Being dehydrated can slightly affect the traces of ketones that were present in your urine, but taking an extra sweet coffee will not show as ketones in your urine after 1 or 2 hours.

Your report does suggest a renal problem and may be diabetes.

I would suggest you to get your fasting blood sugar tested and repeat the urine examination after adequate hydration.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Metabolic panel, creatinine, ketones, proteinuria, cholesterol, on simvastatin, enalapril, diovan, diltiazem cd 1 hour later
I have been seeing a nephrologist for the kidney condition for almost 20 yrs what I would like to know is does this creatinine level combined with the other results mean my kidneys are not working at 100%? 95%? I have always been told that I have a form of Glomular Nephritis with protein loss but my kidneys were working 100% efficiently cleaning my system like they should all these years. Until my next visit I am curious about what the results mean. My glucose was at 120 but my doctor never mentioned diabetes. Could the high sugar content of the coffee have caused this?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Raised creatinine levels and the other reports do mean that your kidneys are not functioning at 100%.

This can be due to glomerulonephritis or due to diabetes.

The blood sugar of 120mg% - was it fasting or random or post prandial?

Taking high sugar drink at least half an hour before the test can increase the blood glucose levels.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Metabolic panel, creatinine, ketones, proteinuria, cholesterol, on simvastatin, enalapril, diovan, diltiazem cd 42 minutes later
At what level would it mean they are functioning? 1.35 creatinine is just outside of normal correct? So am I at 85%. Is dialysis inevitable? Can I last 30 yrs or so before I need it? Why don't I feel tired or have no symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

A creatinine level of 1.35 is a borderline raised creatinine level. Such a mild rise of creatinine does not need dialysis. These levels do not raise any kind of alarm.

This can be corrected with treatment and some dietary restrictions. Kindly speak to a dietitian for a renal diet which helps both for the control of blood pressure and arrest the progression of kidney damage if any.

If the renal function deteriorates even after treatment then dialysis might be needed on further deterioration. The need for dialysis cannot be predicted it all depends on how your BP is controlled, medications that you take and the blood sugar maintainance.

Right now such a small rise of creatinine is reversible.

Happy to help you always.