Menthol feeling when breathing, dizziness. History of gastritis. No anemia or high blood pressure

I keep getting a menthol feeling when I breath and dizziness (not always accompanied with breath sensation). Im not anemic and dont have high blood pressure. Im a 30 year old female.
I have had past issues with gastritis . I take Lanzsoprazol for this although the cause was not identified. I have had paroxysmal af and my liver function tests keep coming back abnormal one week then ok the next but no cause has been found. I have stomach pain most mornings that eventually resolves.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 39 minutes later

There is not fixed illness which can produce menthol kind of feeling while breathing.
But you need to look in to dizziness carefully.
I would recommend you to get blood sugars done in which case hypoglycemia can produce dizziness. Same is the case with hypotension.
Regarding kind of smell which you are getting; we can rule out disorders of nose including polyp/atropic rhinitis sometimes causing altered smell. Disorders like gastro-esophageal reflux disease can cause altered smell while breathing, if it is long standing.
For abnormal liver functions, make sure you are not taking any medications which can alter it's level. [e.g. Fibrates taken for lowering lipids cause same]
In your condition, diagnosis can be made out only after excluding illnesses mentioned above.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Menthol feeling when breathing, dizziness. History of gastritis. No anemia or high blood pressure 1 hour later
Thank you, I have had a full blood count done recently and was told that all was fine. Still the symptoms persist. Im not taking any medication that would cause fluctuations in my liver functions. I know Lanzsoprazol can cause it but the flutations were happening before I started taking it. I have also has an abdo ultrasound but all again was normal. I also have a lump in the side of my neck and difficuly swallowing. I feel like im going to choke. My GP says no to worry but its really having an impact on my day to day living
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

As mentioned above, lump by the side of neck is usually lymph node which is not worrisome. If your GP has already done examination then no need to worry. Enlarged lymph nodes could be because any infection ranging from dandruff, tooth decay or throat infection.

As correct diagnosis needs clinical examination , but from the symptoms above mentioned I can say that may be difficulty in swelling is due to organic cause in throat leading to enlarged lymph nodes in your neck.

To make sure that your health is fine, get detailed ENT examination done by physician. Sometimes difficulty in swallowing along with chocking sensation could be because of allergy to food or climate change.

I hope I have cleared your doubt.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.