MRI showing degenerative lumbar spine changes with pseudo disc bulge, bilateral neural foramina narrowing. Surgery needed?

Neurologist, Surgical
My MRI Study reveals degenerative lumber spine changes with L5 over S1 Grade II anterior listhesis with pseudo disc bulge causing significant bilateral neural foramina narrowing. Is surgical intervention necessary, or can I get relief with medicines and use of lumbo sacral corset? If so, what medicines should I take?
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 8 hours later

I was able to view the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).

Based on your history and the reports, the ideal treatment for you would be surgery (decompression and stabilization of lumbar spine).

Conservative management like medications and corset will only give you temporary relief until surgical treatment can be planned.

I would suggest you consult a Neurosurgeon for a detailed neurological examination. He / she can be able to suggest how sooner the surgery can be planned and type of treatment which is suitable.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: MRI showing degenerative lumbar spine changes with pseudo disc bulge, bilateral neural foramina narrowing. Surgery needed? 2 hours later
What are the chances of success of the surgery? Is there any urgency-- how long can we wait for the surgery? Who are the best neurosurgeons in Lucknow or New Delhi for this operation?
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 5 hours later
Hello again.

Success rate of this surgery good.

You will get relieved of pain and the complications related to listhesis like neurological deficits (limb weakness and bladder disturbances in advance stage) can be avoided.

It needs clinical evaluation by a Neurosurgeon to take the decision about the surgery. Earlier is better.

Sorry, I have no idea about the neurosurgeon in your area, as I am residing in Bangalore. But, you can contact YYYY@YYYY for the same. They will surely help you out on that.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at WWW.WWWW.WW

I hope, this answers your query. I wish you speedy recovery.