MRI showed cervical lordosis. Degeneration of arthrosic discs which partially obliterate anterior subarachnoid space. Advice appreciated.

I had an mri here in Italy. The result showed cervical lordosis at c5 - c6 and c6 - c7, but with the vertebrae well aligned.
Degeneration of arthrosic discs (spondylitis?) which partly obliterate the anterior subarachnoid space. I don't have a hernia.
I had the mri because of problems in raising my arm and pain, particularly at night.On days when I don't use my arm much the pain is not bad, but as soon as I do normal housework my shoulder and arm get very painful.
My doctor has referred me to a physiotherapist.
Any advice appreciated.

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 10 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Your history and MRI Scan Report suggests you have Cervical Spondylosis which is age related wear and tear affecting the discs in your neck. This may be associated with mild prolapse or the Spinal canal may get obliterated (Spinal Canal Stenosis) which subsequently causes nerve compression on movements. This is the reason; you have been experiencing pain when you move your arms. You may have associated Osteoarthritis which is worsening your symptoms.

Kindly don't worry. Just do as your Doctor has advised.

In addition to the medications and physical therapy, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Wear a neck collar throughout the day which will limit the neck motion and prevent nerve irritation.
2.) Low impact aerobic exercise, such as walking will be useful.
3.) Apply heat pads or cold packs to your neck, this will relieve neck stiffness and relax the muscles.
4.) Take a hot shower every day.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.