MRI scan done. Diagnosed with fistula. Is surgery the only treatment? Alternate medication?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

I am diagnosed with a fistula tract bases on MRI scan advised to me. The Impression of the MRI scan is as follows
" A transsphinteric anal fistula with XXXXXXX opening at 5-6 O' clock position at proxima anal level as described"

Currently i am unable to attach the report in this portal.

Request if you can advise on following
1) How should i go about treating the same?
2) Is surgery the only option?
3) I have also heard about kshar XXXXXXX in Ayurveds? is this techinque full proof (any chances of recurrence/incontinece)?
4) Who are the best doctors in Mumbai who can treat this?

Pls advise
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in

Your information and investigations are conclusive of fistula in ano

The only treatment for fistula is surgery, if done in expert hands it is safe and we do it with Radiofrequency and it is apparently painless

Kharsutra is not our subject so can not comment on it

You can search on yellow pages for a good proctologist in Mumbai, if the forum permits I can guide you or you may drop down to us

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Wishing you a healthy life ahead