MRI result showed mild mucosal thickening within left mastoid air cells. Meaning?

ENT Specialist
MRI result showed "mild mucosal thickening within left mastoid air cells" I had a mild hearing loss in the left ear (since resolved after sterioids) at the time of the MRI. No other abnormalities on the MRI. Is this MRI finding something to be concerned about? I was given 7 days of Ceftin same day as MRI too... History of frequent colds / sinus infections. Right ear had normal aeration of mastoid air cells.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Do you have perforation of eardrums?
If no then do not worry as the mild mucosal thickening could have developed after an episode of cold or ear infection but that usually resolves after a course of antibiotics and steroids. (Just see you do not have ear pain)
You must take care of frequent cold and sinus infections. Nasal disease is one of the reasons of creating problems in the ears as--- there is a tube behind the nose, which is connected to the middle part of ear, which gets blocked by the swelling around it by recurrent nasal infections. So there are issues with pressure equalization and negative pressure generates in the middle ears which causes the fluid collection and then further problems.

So consult an ENT specialist ---if required get done Limited CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses and Diagnostic Nasal Endoscopy, to see for disease in nose and paranasal sinuses---then take treatment medically or surgically whichever is required.

If you have eardrum perforation then you need to consult an ENT specialist and discuss that you need any surgical management for nose .If yes then get your nose treated and then later if required get surgical treatment for ear perforation.

Get well soon.
'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"