MRI cervical spine showed decreased hydration and mild indentation of central canal. What does this mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Please help me to understand MRI Cervical Spine Report. It say's Decreased hydration and minimally diffuse bulge of C5-6 and C6-7 intervertebral discs with no endplate spondylosis or facet arthrosis. Mild indentation of central canal. Normal lateral recesses and intervertebral neural foramina with no neural impingement.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through the complaints of your wife as well the MRI reports sent by you. I also saw the MRI pictures uploaded by you. Thank you for the good work done in sending these reports.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your wife is not suffering from any serious disease.

The symptoms suggest a compression of nerves arising in the cervical cord (neck region) and travelling to the arm. As a result, she has pain in the upper limb (arm and hand) starting from the neck. This nerve pain is usually more severe at nights. Feeling of vibration is also because of this.

The MRI shows features of mild degeneration of discs (soft tissue located between the vertebral bodies). As a result, it has bulged out slightly. This bulged discs is causing mild compression of cervical nerves at two levels.

At this stage, treatment is conservative (no need of any surgery). This includes use of medications for pain relief (such as pregabalin or gabapentin) and physiotherapy (neck exercises, IFT, ultrasound, etc).

She should improve soon within 2-3 weeks.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: MRI cervical spine showed decreased hydration and mild indentation of central canal. What does this mean? 7 minutes later
Shall we stop the prescribed medicine by orthopdic surgeon.

New medicine prescribed by doc is prednisolone (Twice a day) and Hifencc MR (Twice a day) after food ,
Ranitidine (twice a day) Before food.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Prednisolone is a steroid group of drug, which has many side effects. So it should be stopped.

Hifenac MR is a pain killer, can be taken on need basis, as and when there is more pain.

Ranitidine is for acidity, if she has symptoms of acidity, she can use it, if not, she should stop it.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: MRI cervical spine showed decreased hydration and mild indentation of central canal. What does this mean? 12 hours later
Thanks a lot for answer my queries.

Please suggest good physiotherapist at bangalore location to cure my wife.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 54 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Good neurology facilities are available at NIMHANS, Manipal Hospital (Old airport Road), Apollo Hospitals and Columbia Asia hospitals in Bangalore. They also have good physiotherapists available. You can consult them once in the hospital. Many of them visit home also and have clinics outside.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM