MDR TMB, semi conscious, on rimactazid, combutol, ethomic, streptomycin, levipil, pacitane. Complete cure possible ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello daughter is sufferong frm MDR TBM and is now in semi subconsious state frm last 2.5 mnths ...she is being treated with rimactazid,combutol,.ethomid has complted 84 doses of streptomycin.levipil and pacitane is being administerd...but results are not tht encouraging ..pls suggest wht shud i do cure my daughter ....seeking ur helpful advise.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Follow-up: MDR TMB, semi conscious, on rimactazid, combutol, ethomic, streptomycin, levipil, pacitane. Complete cure possible ? 10 minutes later
will she be able to come out of it and will she be able to lead a normal life a sshe was doing earlier...sir pls do help us...we are very tensed and worried about the future of our child.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 27 minutes later

Tubercular meningitis is chronic conditions which can cause serious complication such as altered consciousness and convulsions. I am sorry to hear that your daughter is affected from this infection.

It is absolutely necessary that proper and adequate treatment along with good physical care is given to maximise the chance of recovery.

In this regards one very important medication in management of TBM is steroids. The steroids will reduce the damage to the brain and prevent development of complications.
Is she on steroid medications too. If they are yet to be started then Kindly consider discussing with her Doctor.

Another thing is that, I prefer the use of second line of antitubercular drugs such Fluroquinolones like Amikacin, Kanamycin etc instead of the usual isoniazid / rifampacin / ethambutol. Discuss about this to with your treating doctor.

Levipil helps prevent seizures if any.

Now as far as prognosis is considered,
Steroid use often plays a major role in preventing complications of TBM especially altered consciousness. I would want to use it if it isn't used yet after discussing with your treating doctor. If treatment works with medication and good diet, cure can be expected but needs to be on a diet XXXXXXX in proteins as well like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat. Keep her well hydrated. Make sure that the entire course of the treatment is completed and no mistake should be made or no forgetting of medicine anytime. Complete cure may take 6-12 months.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you speedy recovery