Lump on outer wall of vagina, becoming hard & large, painful on squeezing

Question
HI I HAVE A LARGE LUMP ABOUT THE SIZE OF A SMALL GRAPE ON THE OUTER WALL OF MY VAGINA, ITS HARD TO DESCRIBE BUT IR IS THE PART NEAREST YOUR LEG JUST NEXT TO MY CLIT. iT HAS BEEN THERE FOR A WHILE BUT IT WAS SMALL AND SOFT, NOW IT IS HARD AND LARGE, ITS NOT PAINFUL TO TOUCH BUT IT IS TO SQUEEZE
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The causes for a lump underneath the skin on the outer part of vagina could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst or sebaceous cyst- Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess and the swelling becomes painful.
2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment. Usually antibiotics are needed to control the infection.
Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation in the area to decrease the XXXXXXX pain.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Lump on outer wall of vagina, becoming hard & large, painful on squeezing 5 minutes later
WILL THIS CLEAR UP ITSELF OR WILL IT TAKE ANTIBIOTICS TO CLEAR.
WHAT DOES Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation in the area to decrease the XXXXXXX pain MEAN

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A proper examination is necessary to make diagnosis and antibiotics will be needed for treatment.
Till the time you get an appointment with your gynecologist, you can do a hot fomentation in the area for temporary relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.