Lump inside the vagina. Pain during intercourse. Will the lump cause infertility?

Question
i have a lump on the inside of my vagina located at the bottom near the perrenium , it is now sticking out of the vagina it looks like a tags of skin like hemmorids are but its inside my vagina and it is tender and i have also had pain associated with sex, but not from the lump, but up inside further, after i have sex it hurts to sit down or anything. i am 28 but i have never had a pap smear. i am scared now if its something bad i will not be able to have another baby. i know i should go see a doctor but could you suggest what it might be, the possiblilities are
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
There are several possibilities that can arise in your case:

1)     Bartholin’s cyst: There are glands in the vaginal lips called Bartholin’s glands. These can become blocked, as a result of which their secretions accumulate and a lump is formed. This can become painful, if infected. Treatment involves antibiotics and painkillers. This is the most likely possibility in your case.
2)     Benign growths like lipoma or fibroma
3)     Genital warts which are usually raised oval growths with a rough surface.
4)     An extremely unlikely possibility could be herpes which usually leads to painful sores.

You should get a pelvic examination done from a gynecologist and get these possibilities ruled out.

Till that time, apply warm compresses and take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet every 4-6 hours with food.

It is extremely unlikely that you have cervical cancer as the symptoms are suggestive of an infective and not a malignant process. Further, I would request you to get a Pap smear done so that a baseline for the future can be obtained.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.