Lump in left groin,hard,not sore or tender

Oncologist
Question
HI THERE MY 16 YR OLD SON HAS A PEA SIZED LUMP IN HIS LEFT GROIN IT FEELS HARD BUT WHEN YOU GRAB IT ITS QUITE SPONGEY LLIKE IF YOU SQUEEZED IT HARD ENOUGH IT WOULD BURST ALTHOUGH IT WILL NOT AS MY SON ADVISED THAT HE HAD TRIED TO POP IT, IT DOES NOT FEEL ATTACHED TO ANYTHING AND IS NOT SORE OR TENDER .
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you have experienced in relation to your son.
I'm in the groin we have to consider the most likely causes of this type of swelling. The two most common causes would have to be something like a infected sebaceous cyst or possibly inflammation of one of his lymph nodes. A sebaceous cyst is a collection of sebaceous material under the skin which can happen at random. This can sometimes become inflamed or infected. When it becomes infected it is usually associated with more pain. At this point it sounds like he does not have an infection going on and the system itself would usually slowly resolved over a couple of weeks. It is important not to press or squeeze in this area at this point because this can cause and exacerbation of the swelling.
The other consideration which I mentioned would be a swelling of a lymph node. This often can happen in response to exposure to a virus or sometimes a bacteria. As long as he does not have urinary symptoms such as pain with urination or discharge from the penis I would consider a lymph node swelling as a possibility in response to systemic exposure to a virus.

I recommend you continue to observe this area for the next 10 to 14 days. If it does not improve at all or if it gets any worse or if you develop significant pain or other types of swelling then I would suggest you take him to his both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this question I will be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga