Lump between groin and leg, overweight and smoker. Hard and not moving. Should I be concern?

General Surgeon
I am a relatively healthy female in my mid-twenties (I am however, overweight and a smoker. Two things I am working on changing!). About 2-3 months ago I noticed a pea size lump under my skin right in the crease where my groin and leg XXXXXXX I have been monitoring it since I found it and it is constantly changing in size and shape. It gets bigger (to the size of a large marble) then smaller again (like a pea or half a pea). It is sometimes round and sometime elongated. It doesn't seem to be moveable, and for the most part is is non-tender. There doesn't seem to be any discoloration of the skin over or around it. It is sometimes hard and sometimes "squishy". Kind of confused as to what this might be! Also very scared it is something bad.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such shape changing lump in the groin area is most likely inguinal hernia. It can appear and disappear depending of the body position. You can perform simple test. Pres this lump with your fingers while standing and try to cough couple of times. If this lump is protruding during coughing hernia it is.
Other possible reasons of a lump in groin area is enlarged lymph nodes, lipoma, cyst.
I suggest you to visit general surgeon and have physical examination of this area. If any doubts, ultrasound should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Lump between groin and leg, overweight and smoker. Hard and not moving. Should I be concern? 2 hours later
How would I have gotten a hernia if that is what it end up being?
Also, are my symptoms similar to a type of lipoma or cyst? I have read about both of these online and wasn't too sure if I fit the description.

Thank you for your prompt and informative response!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 hours later
This symptom are very characteristic for hernia and does not sound like lipoma or cyst, just mentioned it in case hernia wont be the correct diagnose.
Hernia is caused by inherited connective tissue disorder where this tissue is weaker than regular one. It usually appears when abdominal pressure is too high for some places so the part of abdominal cavity gets outside. It can be heavy objects lifting, bike riding, severe coughing, pushing hard on stool.
You should visit general surgeon for diagnose and treatment (usually mesh insertion will cure the hernia).

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Lump between groin and leg, overweight and smoker. Hard and not moving. Should I be concern? 13 hours later
I tried the coughing test you mentioned and nothing happened. There was nothing protruding while I was coughing.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Well, still it does not rule out hernia.
That is why I suggested general surgeon consult who has an experience in such conditions. And ultrasound should be also done in this area.