Loud stomach gurgling, yellow stools. Ultrasound, blood test came normal. What is it?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I've had loud stomach gurgling for about 3 months now with yellow stools. Blood work is normal also had an upper right quadrant ultrasound. That's normal too,, I also have loud deep burps all day long that I've never had before. No one can figure out what my problem is. My boyfriend and little sister are also having the same problem. I think we have an intestinal bacterial because we had a bad hurricane in our area and made the mistake of brushing our teeth with the water
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 14 minutes later
Symptoms you are describing are nonspecific but it lead us to consider stomach disorders first. Most of such burps and gurgling are caused by stomach inflammations, stomach motility or position disorders. So gastritis or GERD usually manifest like this especially when associated with heartburn after meal and after laying or leaning forward. Also hiatal hernia have genetic predispositions and is often found in familly members. Ultrasound cant show anything about stomach, esophagus or bowels.The best way to evaluate your condition is to do gastroscopy and everything about your stomach will be clear. Also it can show is there Helicobacter pylori bacterial infection which then can be treated.
If stomach is fine then next thing to think of is bowel. BActeria you are talking about would cause temporary diarrhea,vomiting and abdominal discomfort, but it would pass in a few days so I dont think tahts the reason of your difficulties.
YOu also can try change your dietary and life habbits,avoid smoking,alcohol,stress and spicy food and fats. And eat milk products,boiled food, and fruit/vegetables.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Loud stomach gurgling, yellow stools. Ultrasound, blood test came normal. What is it? 2 days later
I've noticed leaning forward and laying down causes a burning pain in my right side by ribs. I also looked up h pylori and have almost every symptom. Someone suggested peppermint oil capsules and coconut oil as a natural cure for that. Should I try it because I don't have insurance and can't afford any more doctor visits or testing
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 5 hours later
Yes, you can try this, there are some more home remedies: licorice tea, Ginger root, XXXXXXX cider, aloe vera juice, Have a teaspoon of honey each night before you go to bed, You should avoid any hard, crisp or crunchy foodstuffs,take some fruits which relief symptoms : Pineapple and Papaya,bananas,apples,strawberries, peaches, pears, melons.And vegetables: broccoli,arrots and peas.
Also wear loose fitting clothes and dont use tight belts.

You can ask your GP about prescribing some of the antiacid medicines, or ask in pharmacy about it. You dont need to do tests for it.
I am sure that you ll feel better after all this.