Ask a Dentist   »  

Loss of taste sensation after eating hot and spicy food

i cannot taste anything after I had consumed hot and spicy thai fried rice...
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 41 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
You are having loss of taste sensation. I want to know few things before further discussion.
1. Is it a first episode or you had similar complaints in past.
2. Have you lost sensation for other taste.
3. Is there loss of hot sensation.
4. Are you having persistent complaints.

Please let me know. Depending on your history we can decide whether it is central or peripheral problem?
Looking forward for your response.
Follow-up: Loss of taste sensation after eating hot and spicy food 4 hours later
1. I has similar episode 6 years back when I had tried extremely spicy dish and was given medicine that got me back the taste in a week's time.

2. I can taste lemon but its just the salt and sugar that gives me no taste.

3. no I can feel hot

4. it does not feel anything. I mean no pain or such.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 5 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
It looks there is loss of taste buds due to hot and spicy food. It happens in some individual for unknown reasons. There is very less chance that it has caused due to brain problem.
Still I will advise visit your physician for examination and local ointment like mucain gel. It will protect the tongue mucosa and allows fast healing. If symptoms persists then MRI of brain is needed to see the condition of taste centre.