Loose motion, stomach ache. Is it any sort of infection in my stomach?

i am having very loose motions since yesterday early morning, not able to eat enough too, had some stomach ache yesterday morning too. Just now had again a very loose motion. My 3 year old boy had same loose motions a few days back, he went thru some medication and is better since yesterday evening. Is it any sort of infection in my stomach
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later

Since you have stomach ache and loose motions with loss of appetite and your son responded to antibiotics, it is likely that you too have an infection.

However very often infection is due to Rotavirus which normally clears up on its own.

Do take a bland diet, with no milk, black tea with lemon, and curd rice/khichdi with curd, and ripe bananas for a couple of days. Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

Get your stool examined and if it indicates infection or you are not better in two days, see your doctor for a course of antibiotics. You can meanwhile take Lomotil twice a day along with the diet I have suggested.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please let me know if you have a follow up query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Loose motion, stomach ache. Is it any sort of infection in my stomach? 2 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your reply in detail. I have already started implementing your suggested diet and taken once dose of lomotil as well. Can i have more Meal options to choose from in my condition as for some reason my taste buds as not liking most foods and can i continue my work or i should take a day or two off.

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 4 hours later

Thanks again for posting follow up query.

You can have plain curd and mildly flavoured soups of your choice too -anything which is well blended and not irritating.

If the loose motions stop and you do not feel weak, you may go to work.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.