Liver enzymes out of normal range,cocaine user.

I recently had blood work done on 2 occasions. Each time my liver enzymes were raised outside the normal range by two points. Now my doctor wants to scan my livervwhat is going on. Is this cancer?r All my other blood work was in normal range. I had been a social user of cocaine
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 41 minutes later

You have posted that your Liver Enzymes are 2 points more than normal. It is a very minor increase. The normal values of SGOT and SGPT are around 40. So till they become 120, the increase has no significance. 2 points increase may be seen if you have drunk less water or are dehydrated.
The very small elevated levels of Liver Enzymes suggests that there is certainly some damage to the liver cells. For that Ultrasonography of Liver is very helpful. It is a non-invasive test which may take 15-30 minutes.
No there are no signs and symptoms suggestive of any liver cancer. So do not worry.
If you drink alcohol in any form, (that is whisky, beer, wine) you may stop it. Cocaine also causes damage to your liver. So try to avoid it.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: Liver enzymes out of normal range,cocaine user. 3 hours later
Doctor do you recommend my taking milk thistle as a supplement in order to help repair the damage?. Also are there any dietary should and should nots?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 5 hours later
There is lot of support for Milk Thistle as Liver Tonic.
As an allopathic doctor I want Double Blind Studies to prove it, before I start prescribing / advising it.

You may help your liver by:
1. Eating less fats - oil. butter, margarine, cream.
2. Less animal proteins - eggs, meat
3. Drink plenty of clear liquids.
4. Take more complex carbohydrates.