Lightheadedness, severe headaches and rising blood pressure. What do they indicate?

My mother is 81 years old and for the past month she has been experiencing. Various symptoms. It started with a feeling of unease and lightheadedness and progressed to severe headaches and rising blood pressure
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Increased Blood pressure,thyroxin effect... Detailed Answer: Hi, You are saying that your mother is currently taking thyroxin. This hormone is often associated with increased blood pressure and headache. Therefore, I’d suggest measuring her TSH, T3 and T4 levels to evaluate better your thyroid function. In addition, I’d also suggest monitoring her Blood pressure (24 hour blood presure holter), ECG and cardiac echo to evaluate the heart health. This will help her doctor to decide the best treatment choice for your mom. The goal is to keep her BP <130/85 mmHg. Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more questions, feel free to write me back! Dr.Benard