Less menstrual flow, taking contraceptive pills before periods. Now bleeding and pain. Why is this happening?

Question
HI, I JUST HAD MY PERIODS WHICH STARTED ON THE 2ND OF THIS MONTH WHICH LASTED TILL THE 4TH,BUT THE FLOW WAS LESS.I WAS ON CONTRECEPTIVE PILLS BEFORE MY PERIODS NOW I STOPPED TAKING IT,.BUT TODAY MORNING I STARTED GETTING BLEEDING AND I HAVE SLIGHT PAIN TOO.WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Based on your history, I can think of 2 possible causes:

1. Pregnancy - If you have involved in unprotected sexual intercourse, then pregnancy needs to be ruled out. I advise is to go for pregnancy test to rule it out.

2. Hormonal fluctuation - If this test is negative than this bleeding could be because of hormonal fluctuation. Such fluctuations are common when some one stops pill intake after long use say one year or more.

A few other possibilities such as infection, uterine and ovarian conditions can cause irregular bleeding and pain. If the symptoms persist, then it is wise to consult your primary doctor. Physical examination and some investigations like ultrasound of uterus and ovaries are entailed.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any more additional concerns related to my recommendations, I am available to address them.

Best wishes,

Follow-up: Less menstrual flow, taking contraceptive pills before periods. Now bleeding and pain. Why is this happening? 4 hours later
I stopped taking contraceptive pills 6 days before my periods and i'm getting this bleeding now,after my period ther is a gap of 8-9 days.Is it possible for me to become pregnant?can i do the preganancy test now or do i need to wait?

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 15 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

In your case possibility of pregnancy seems to be less but still you should do the pregnancy test.

You can do the test now.

Best wishes