Leg strain while playing tennis, weakness, done icing and compress, hurts to walk, no bruising, little swelling. Long term injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, while playing an intense set of tennis last night on the somewhat slippery clay, I ran forward to a drop shot and took a lunging step for it with my left foot forward. My foot slid forward causing me to do almost the splits. I am a male and flexible, but I instantly felt a pop and knew I had to compensate for what I knew was at least a strain. I collapsed into a squat afraid to get up and to stay stretching my back and glute. When I finally XXXXXXX to a standing position it felt weak and could barely walk. It subsided and I could walk off the court and then take a cab home. I have cold and hot compresses and iced it last night and this morning. It feels much better relatively speaking but it hurts to walk, and I noticed that a stretch forward hurts and a slight twisting of the leg outward hurts. The pain radiates from what I think are my adductors in the back of my left leg, under my groin on the left side, and then down the inside of my left thigh a few inches. Hurts when touched or massaged like an overworked muscle. No bruising and little to no swelling that I can tell. I am wondering if this is a long term injury or something that could be a week or so.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description, it seems to be a minor muscle sprain which is likely to improve on taking a combination of pain killer and a muscle relaxant. Adequate rest and hot fomentation will help in early recovery.
Since you can bear weight on the leg without much discomfort, any bony injury is not likely.
In case the symptoms do not improve over next one week then an X-ray and MRI scan will help in detecting any good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.