Leg pain while driving, worse in calf area. High BP. How to deal with the pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Riding in a car for long distances causes severe leg pain, how can I relieve the pain while riding. The pain is worse in the calf area of the leg although it hurts all over. It causes the legs to be sore even to the touch. It is necessary to stop every few hours to walk around. Being on my feet alot or bending alot makes the pain worse. I am getting ready to go on a 14 hr trip and wondered if there was anything that could be done to help deal wit the pain. I have high blood preasure and cannot take ibuprofin because of the blood pressure meds.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Pain in the legs specially felt on traveling for long distances can be due to nerve compression at the level of lumbar spine due to degenerative changes in the disc or due to electrolyte imbalance like magnesium or calcium deficiency.
To avoid such a pain, you can intermittently take an electrolyte XXXXXXX energy/ sports drink while traveling. Frequent changing of positions will be helpful. Avoid driving yourself. You can use a public transport and move around intermittently while traveling.
You can also get an MRI of your lumbosacral spine done for a better evaluation of your symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Leg pain while driving, worse in calf area. High BP. How to deal with the pain? 10 hours later
I think the problem is a circulation issue possibly. I have problem with the veins in my legs. Is that a possibility and would there be another treatement if so.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Problem in circulation is also a likely possibility but such problem is less likely to be bilateral in nature. Getting a color doppler venous study will help in detecting any such problem. Frequent change in posture is the only effective way to help yourself.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Leg pain while driving, worse in calf area. High BP. How to deal with the pain? 16 hours later
Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
You are most welcome.
Best regards.