Leg pain, heaviness, low vitamin D. On bystolic beta blocker. History of IBS, hyperparathyroidism. Causes for leg pain?

Question
Ive been taking Bystolic 2.5 mg for a little over a month now and notice lately my legs hurt or feel heavy. Is that a side effect of the beta blocker? I also have ibs and noticed my stomach seems more irritable this last month as well. Any connection?? I am also vitamin d deficient and have been taking meds for it which brought my level up from a 7 to a 29 which is almost normal but my calcium level went to 10 on recent blood work which is high for me when I am usually 9.4 every test. Should I just re-test? Im concerned about a hyperparathyoid issue since my mother has it or could it be related to the vitamin d level coming up?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
The heaviness in the legs could be due to the side effect of the drug Bystolic. It is associated with knee pain specially while climbing stairs. This is a self limiting side effect and usually this feeling improves after 2-3 months of treatment.
Mildly increased irritability of stomach is more likely to be due to an autonomic dysfunction rather than due to beta blocker.
The raised calcium levels are most likley due to raised vitamin D3 levels. This is not indicative of hyperparathyroidism. This will come back to near normal levels over 4-6 weeks. Do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Leg pain, heaviness, low vitamin D. On bystolic beta blocker. History of IBS, hyperparathyroidism. Causes for leg pain? 50 minutes later
i dont have knee pain though just leg pain and heaviness.....is that still from the beta blocker? so my d level should level itself out??

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Yes I do feel so. You just need to wait for 8-10 weeks and get tests repeated. For symptomatic relief from leg pain you can take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen after consulting with your physician.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.