Left axillary abcess detected. on TB medication. FNAC detected abcess. blood test, X-ray normal. Incorrect FNAC test ?

General Surgeon
Question
I have a left axillary abscess. FNAC says it is "tuberculous abscess" but the blood tests and chest x XXXXXXX does not confirm that! They both say "normal". Can that mean that the FNAC report is wrong? Should I go for another FNAC? I have already started having TB medicines from today! Please advise.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Infections
Follow-up: Left axillary abcess detected. on TB medication. FNAC detected abcess. blood test, X-ray normal. Incorrect FNAC test ? 13 minutes later
I would also like to know if I go for another FNAC and that says that there is no TB, then should I discontinue the medicines? My doctor has advised SGOT and SGPT, that I will be doing tomorrow. What result/s may I expect that may rule out/in the FNAC report?

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 19 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for nice query.     
FNAC is much better than chest X-Ray and blood test for tubercular abscess .

I have seen many cases of tubercular abscess ,with normal Chest X-Rays and blood tests .patient responding to anti tubercular treatment.

In my opinion you should continue anti tubercular treatment,as tuberculosis is very common in India .

More tests or FNAC may cause more confusion

SGOT and SGPT will not change the diagnosis & line of treatment .

Continue treatment for three weeks & feel for improvement in your health.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

Follow-up: Left axillary abcess detected. on TB medication. FNAC detected abcess. blood test, X-ray normal. Incorrect FNAC test ? 16 minutes later
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much indeed for such an answer which cleared almost all my confusions!
Another question is, as there is no chest abnormality, may I assume that my case is not infectious? I am a teacher by profession. Should I suspend teaching for a few weeks in view that I need rest or my students may get affected? I have heard that TB patients are advised rest. But, my doctor has not advised that yet! Please reply.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 7 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing back.

Open case of pulmonary or lung tuberculosis have much more tendency to spread tuberculosis ,as with coughing lots of bacteria are thrown in the air .

Axillary tubercular abscess is not infectious ,so you don`t need suspension of teaching.

Chances of students getting infected is almost nil.

There is no need of rest in your case ,proper regular treatment is much more important than rest.

In localized tuberculosis to axilla rest don`t carries any benefit,instead business will divert your attention from disease & decrease tension.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

Follow-up: Left axillary abcess detected. on TB medication. FNAC detected abcess. blood test, X-ray normal. Incorrect FNAC test ? 2 hours later
Sir, thank you very much for the reply. You have cleared all my doubts/questions. regards.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later
Hello

Nice to hear from you kind words of thanks for my reply.

Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest. I am always to assist you in decision making towards health.

Regards.