Laparascopic removal of gall bladder, pain after surgery. Done hids scan. Chills, fever, pain. Should the surgeon be consulted?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I am 34 year old female. I just had a laproscopic removal of my gallbladder 7 days ago. I had to go back to the hospital the day after surgery because of worse than ezpected pain. They admitted me, ran some bloodwork which all came back normal. They also did a Hida scan which also came back normal. I was discharged to home, and the pain has not been quite so bad since I came home, however I have started to experiwnce chills. The chills come on at any time day or night. I have not noticed any pattern to them at all. I am not running a fever as I have been checking regularly since the.chills began. Other than just eeling generally run down, and the pain that is not wire as bad, I do not have any other symptoms.

Should I let my surgeon know about this, or is this something that should not cause any concern?

Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

The information you have provided does point to some infection in the biliary track

But because your earlier blood counts and Hida Scan turned out to be normal, it is better you inform your surgeon about this

May be he might ask for a repeat counts and an ultrasound

Not very serious but should not be neglected

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you good health