LFT tests, GGT, reduced alcohol

hi i have had 2 lft tests in the last few months my first test my ggt was 900.I was a heavy drinker for many years.after seeing what my ggt level was i reduced my alchol to 1 tin of beer mixed with lemonade per week.i took another lft test 6 weeks after the first one and everything was normal ggt showing 49.does this mean my liver has healed?and can i drink one beer per week mixed with lemonade and stick to that amount ?im 44 and 5 10 hight,and im healthy. ps.i dont want to go back to every day drinking and im strong minded,but i would like to look forward to my one tin per week if it wouldnt do me harm.thank you so much for your time,many thanks XXXXXXX .
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your query.

First of all, I congratulate you on modifying your lifestyle. The improvement in the GGT means that your liver is no longer suffering continuous damage from the deleterious effects of excessive alcohol consumption. Changing your lifestyle to include the one tin per week compared to a previously heavy degree of consumption requires a significant degree of self-discipline. The only concern as a physician is that you are at risk for relapse into a heavy-drinking state. This is why we often recommend abstinence from alcohol altogether in individuals who have demonstrated liver damage.

With all of this being said, in your case, if you have the discipline to stick to the plan of once per week alcohol intake, then I do not see a problem with that. I would encourage you to declare this to your friends or family - those who provide you with support so they can continue to support you in this step of change to good health.

I would also encourage you to start a daily regimen of healthy exercise. Your body needs the exercise as well to support your good health as you well know. I would recommend you see your physician on a regular basis for examination and to follow the liver function. He may recommend an ultrasound of the liver at some point as well to make sure there are no other abnormalities in the structure of the liver. I don't suspect you have abnormalities other than a bit of what we refer to as "fatty liver." With continued moderation in drinking and good healthy diet and exercise you are on your way to optimal health.

Once again, I applaud your recent lifestyle change! I hope my response has been adequate and informative for you. I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: LFT tests, GGT, reduced alcohol 5 hours later
thank you very much doctor for answering my question,does it mean if my ggt is back to normal 49,that my liver has healed,?if it was cirrhosis i had would my ggt count stayed at 900.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later
Hello and thank you for the followup.

Your liver function has improved I am sure - might not be back 100% to normal but I am sure it is close. The liver can heal and I suspect your function is at least 90% of normal now. It will get even better with healthy living.

Thank you again for your query XXXXXXX

Take care,