Knee replacement done. Experiencing severe leg and foot pain. Cause and cure?

I have had my right knee replaced twice over the last 16 months. I now suffer from serve leg and foot pain - the pain is at its worst when I get out of bed in the morning or after sitting down. The pain is in both feet and legs. Can you explain why this occurs.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, thanks for asking. The pain in the legs which is more prominent when you are sitting is a situation named restless leg syndrome. It can also affect your sleep and could be accompanied with periodic leg movements in sleep. It can occur following such a surgery. It is also common in back problems, in anemia and in diabetes, etc. There are some medications which can treat the issue. Some of them are dopamine agonists like bromocriptine, pergolide, etc. Some of them are from the class of medications that affect GABA system in the brain (like gabapentine, pregabaline, etc). You can ask more about it from your doctor. I wish you a good health.