Knee pain after playing tennis, prescribed Dorofen, am prediabetic. Can I continue playing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Age 36 , 176 Cm ,Weight 73kgs and Prediabetic within Control .I have been playing Tennis till the year 1996 and now again iam playing a two weeks before and i had Knee pain and went to doctor and he prescribed me DOROFEN
ALso kindly let me know whether i can play tennis by taking the medicine or play tennis with the Knee pads on .If so kindly suggest me a knee pad
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later

You must have hurt your XXXXXXX structures in knee while playing, which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage and bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt. Your x-rays are excellent and show no bony and other gross abnormality whatsoever. It leaves us with possibility of ligament, meniscus, capsule or synovial injury. These are best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging).

I hope your physician examined you well before prescribing medicines. If it gives you relief you may resume sports after a gap of 1 or 2 weeks. As you rightly mentioned, a pair of knee supports can add to stability. But that again depends on your exact condition. If you don't get relief, proceed with MRI.

In my opinion, try to refrain from tennis for a while. Begin sports gradually and warm up before every game. Not to forget proper sports gear is must viz attire and shoes. If you notice instability while walking or running, visit your orthopaedician at earliest.

Hope you find this answer informative. Please get back to us for more queries; I'm available for follow up.
Follow-up: Knee pain after playing tennis, prescribed Dorofen, am prediabetic. Can I continue playing? 30 minutes later

Dear Sir
Thanks a Lot . The Doctor said that there might be a problem in the Cartilage sicne the GAP Between the Joints are Narrow in both the Knees . Hence this gives me a kind of Fear.hence do kindly let me know by viewing the X rays that is there is any cartilage problem .
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 6 hours later

Thanks for getting back.

Cartilage defects unless large are not visible on x-rays. Your xrays are absolutely fine. Both compartments are equal and in normal range. Cartilage defects are noted on MRI so if you want to confirm please get an MRI done.