Kidney stone attack, multiple calculi, cysts, hyperintense lesions. Treatment ?

Question
i have a question regarding my kidneys. last sept i had a kidney stone attack in which i had a large kidney stone lodged and passed. several ct scans and mri's have been done. it says i have multiple calculi, stones, cysts, and hyperintense lesions to small to characterize. i know in 2003 i had an ultrasound and have had cyst since then but know i have discovered i have all this stuff in there. could it be cancer? im worried. my kidney funtions have been normal. and no blood in urine. im 35yr female
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 13 minutes later

From the description of your medical history, it seems that you might be having polycystic kidney disorder which is a condition where multiple cysts in the kidney occur in adulthood. In such cases electrolyte re-absorption or excretion is affected which can predispose it for development of multiple renal stones.

This condition is a benign condition and is not associated with increased risk of cancer nor to progression of cancer at a later stage.

The management of your condition would be to correct the electrolyte imbalances and reduce the risk of developing renal stones with a specific diet, depending on the blood tests and investigative findings.

Hence you need not worry about cancer at all. You might consult with your doctor or a nephrologist who can advise you accordingly and initiate necessary interventions.

I hope this helps.

I Shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.

Follow-up: Kidney stone attack, multiple calculi, cysts, hyperintense lesions. Treatment ? 1 hour later
what are hyperintense lesions or foci. it says there isnt any change since sept report ct. it scares me to hear that. when i had that kidney stone attack in sept the report read that i had hydronephrosis due to the stone being lodged and hemmorhagic cyst or nodule. could these stones or calculi and hx of hydronephrosis cause these lesions or foci? what do you think is going on?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello again,

As mentioned in the explanation above, the hyperintense lesions mentioned are the Cysts in the kidney, which present as hyperdense or hyperintense appearance (on the imaging studies ). These cysts usually arise from abnormal renal nephrons (functional units of the kidney) which might have got blocked during growth

Both renal stones and hydronephrosis do not lead to formation of cystic lesions, but they in turn can arise due to the effects of the cysts on the renal function.

The renal stones - arise due to intrinsic changes in the kidney tubules that result in electrolyte imbalances and precipitation of ions. Blockage of the urinary tract due to stones and back pressure of collected urine results in hydronephrosis.

both these lesions - do not result in formation of cancer in the kidney.

Hence as mentioned earlier, The management of your condition would be to correct the electrolyte imbalances and reduce the risk of developing renal stones with a specific diet, depending on the blood tests and investigative findings.

I hope this helps.