Kicked by horse, bulging disc, hematoma, back pain, abdominal pain, loss of sensation in leg. Is hot hematoma bad?

Excellent

Question
I got kicked in the back by a horse about 3 months ago i developed a bulging disc in the L5/S1 area and a hematoma, my hematoma has been giving me a lot of back pain and abdominal pain, also losing feeling to my right leg. My hematoma has been quite hot lately is that bad?

Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later

3 months is quite a long time for any haematoma to get resolved. When there is injury there is collection of blood under skin resulting in to formation of haematoma.

This blood, over a period of time gets absorbed in the system and haematoma resolves. In case if does not happen, then it can get infected due to old blood being good medium for organisms to grow and give rise to problem.

Pain at the site
Feeling hot on touching
Discomfort

Are signs of infection. You should visit your doctor and get your self examined.

In mean time you can try taking analgesic tablets for relief of pain and discomfort.

Your doctor after examination will decide whether to give only medicines or do some procedure to remove haematoma.

Please consult your doctor.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Kicked by horse, bulging disc, hematoma, back pain, abdominal pain, loss of sensation in leg. Is hot hematoma bad? 3 days later

I consulted my doctor on the 3/08/2012 (friday) he sent me to have physio. I have had physio twice since then and had some acupunture done yesterday. I am in chronic pain and it hurts to breath. Is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

It is good that you have visited your doctor. The advice given by doctor rules out haematoma.

From advice given it seems that you are having pain because of some disc problem. Again the disc problem is not serious enough which required any thing else other then physiotherapy. This is my impression from the details given.

I think you should continue with exercise as advised and it should be fine. After starting exercise you may have some increase pain for couple of days.

In mean time you can do some local analgesic application, ice pack application as per your comfort.

You can also take analgesic tablet in case the pain worsens as per talk with your doctor.

Do not worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you great health.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Kicked by horse, bulging disc, hematoma, back pain, abdominal pain, loss of sensation in leg. Is hot hematoma bad? 19 hours later
Thank you,

Another question i am worried about, i haven't been able to control my bladder or bowels, and i have emptied my bladder since yesterday

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 hours later

This needs to be looked for.

I hope your have share this concern with your doctor, if not please do it.

At times when there is injury to the disc, the disc can compress the spinal cord in that region and lead to this kind of problem. You had injury 3 months back, so by this time this should have gone.

I would also advise you to see a spine surgeon in such case, who can help you in this.

When the disc injury is symptomatic as you have, you might need intervention in any form. Further investigations like MRI will be helpful in evaluation and planning for treatment.

Please discuss this with your orthopedic surgeon or spine surgeon.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Kicked by horse, bulging disc, hematoma, back pain, abdominal pain, loss of sensation in leg. Is hot hematoma bad? 22 hours later

I did recently get an MRI on the 29th of XXXXXXX it just showed a massive hematoma and a bulging disc.

I have been having sharp abdominal and back pains will that be all related?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

As you have already done MRI there is nothing to worry.

Your doctor is already aware about your MRI and your complain, there is no reason for concern and you should continue with his advise.

Back pain can be explained with this, but abdominal pain might or might not be related.

It seems that you disc lesion is not serious enough which required any procedure for it.

In case you do not feel that you are improving with physiotherapy as advised, and then please consider option of seeing a spine surgeon.

Do not worry, with time it should be fine.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Kicked by horse, bulging disc, hematoma, back pain, abdominal pain, loss of sensation in leg. Is hot hematoma bad? 1 minute later
Ok thank you

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 minute later
Have a nice time.

Please close the query and give your feedback.

Thanks.