Jaundice, SGOT 1810, SGPT 1966, strict diet, now normal levels, alcohol consumption

Dear Doctor,

I detected jaundice three months SGOT -1810, SGPT -1966,BILLIRUBIN- TOTAL 19 after following a strict diet now I am normal. All blood test came normal three weeks back.I just want to know can i start taking mild beer now once in a week.Do i still need to follow diet restriction as I am taking normal diet now.Can i do all physical activity now
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Presence of elevated liver enzymes indicated that the cause of jaundice was probably liver cell inflammation.

There are various causes of liver cell inflammation. Common ones are infections and alcohol. High cholesterols and obesity can add to the above risks leading to jaundice.

If infections were ruled out by tests, then it is more likely that alcohol was the culprit. Hence use of alcohol in any form is absolutely restricted. Use of alcohol can not only bring your symptoms back, but you may end up having serious complications such as cirrhosis or Hepatic encephalopathy or liver failure.

A low calorie and low fat diet is a must. Other diet and physical activities can resume if the liver enzyme markers and bilirubin levels have normalized.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.

Wish you good luck.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Jaundice, SGOT 1810, SGPT 1966, strict diet, now normal levels, alcohol consumption 6 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor,

As mentioned in my previous query my LIVER TFT result came normal three weeks back. So i am already ahving a normal diet.

Is there any way by which i can detect the cause of jaundice i had and secondly as per your suggestion do i have to avoid alchoal in any form whole my life? even mild beer can cause complications again??

Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

The cause of jaundice can be found. Physical examination reports and the investigation reports (blood test and scans) are useful informations through which a clue to the cause can be found. Your treating doctor/gastroenterologist will be able to help you here.

Based on the reports you mentioned earlier, raised liver enzymes are an indication of liver cells inflammation. If you had been drinking alcohol regularly all this while, then alcohol nay have contributed significantly to this pathology and thus occurrence of jaundice.

In the presence of history of liver cell inflammation alcohol consumption, even mild beer in any form is to be avoided as they can lead to complications.

Yet, your treating doctor who knows about your condition well will be able to comment if small amounts of beer once in a while could be taken or has to be absolutely avoided.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Best Regards