Itchy skin,blood blisters,bleeding.Cure?

I scractch my skin and I develop seriouys blood blisters that last forever and I bleed just like that for a long time.....what is going on with me....I am 60
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for the query,

The medications which you are taking are meant to lower the cholesterol and blood pressure. Lipitor contains atorvastatin,which is a cholesterol lowering drug. And Diovan is an anti hypertensive drug.

The blister and the red patches which you are getting is called Ecchymosis. This is nothing but blood filled under the skin. This usually happens in this age and because of certain medicines(esp blood thinners like aspirin or disprin).
But in your case, the culprit seems to be lipitor(atorvastatin),which can cause blisters ,peeling of skin ,muscle pain etc.

Another possibility is SENILE ECCHYMOSIS. This is age related condition, wherein skin becomes too thin and can lead to blood collection underneath even on slightest of trauma.

You should also get a platelet count done to rule out idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.

The reason for itching in your case is (if there is no other skin pathology) dry skin also called senile xerosis.

My advise here would be to consult your doctor, to probably be on a safer or other option to Lipitor. Secondly, I would advise you to use a good moisturizer all over the body to reduce itching.You can also use a shower gel while bathing.

I hope this answers your query,but if you have any further questions then please write back to us.