Itchy skin rash, had a blood transfusion during c-section delivery. Is it a reaction?

I had a blood transfusion 3 weeks ago following a c sec, i have developed an uncomfortable rash and very itchy and worse as days go on. hv i had a reaction to blood transfusion?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

The rash you have could be due to blood transfusion reaction.

There is one more possibility. After a blood transfusion, even if there is no blood transfusion reaction or infection transmitted, after a few days there is breakdown of foreign RBCs (Red Blood Cells) which release the excessive bile which gets deposited under our skin causing the itching.

I would suggest you to bring this to the immediate notice of your treating doctor to avoid secondary infection of involved area.

In most of the cases, this itching subsides in 4-6 weeks.

You can also get your liver function tests done including serum bilirubin- both conjugated and unconjugated after consulting your physician.

For symptomatic relief you can apply Calamine lotion, take an antiallergic like Benadryl.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.