Itchy feeling in motion passing area, diagnosed with IBS. Could it be worms in intestine ?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hello. I have a query regarding worms in my intestine. Will explain it more when we chat.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 46 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
If you can elaborate your complaints, we would be in a better position to help you. Please write back with your complaints.

Follow-up: Itchy feeling in motion passing area, diagnosed with IBS. Could it be worms in intestine ? 41 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for the reply.

From past 2 days I feel like I have worms in my intestine. I have an itchy feeling in the motion passing area. FYI, I have been diagnosed with IBS (diarrhea predominent).

Also yesterday morning I ate 3 raw garlic cloves before food and I felt a little better. But the feeling hasnt completely gone.

Please advise some tablets that I can take for this.

Thanks and Regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 35 minutes later

Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for providing the details.

Itching in the perianal region may have many causes. Worms is one of them.

You need to first confirm the diagnosis by getting a proper and elaborate stool examination. Thereafter you can take a course of medications.

There are quite a few medications for various types of worm infestations. Your report will dictate your doctor to choose the drug. They are
1. Mebendazole
2. Albendazole.
3. Piperzine Citrate
4. Adjuvant medications include metronidazole and tinidazole.
5. If there is bacterial superinfection then ciprofloxacin

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further concerns.
If you are satisfied with my answer, do close this discussion and rate it.

With regards

Follow-up: Itchy feeling in motion passing area, diagnosed with IBS. Could it be worms in intestine ? 43 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you so much for the reply. Even before taking a stool examination (which can take sometime for me considering my tight schedule), is there any safe medicine that I can take now? How about Albendazole before taking the stool examination?

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 52 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

Though it is always advisable to get stool examination, I sometime prescribe a safer medication - mebendazole to my patients. It is given twice a day for at least 3 days.
The next alternative would be piperzine citrate or zental which is given as a single dose at bed time.

You can check out with your family doctor about its availability and the dose needed in your case.

Hope this suffices. If I have addressed your concerns and do not have any further queries, do close this discussion and rate it.

Wish you speedy recovery.